7 Meat Free Family Meal Ideas
As November is world vegan month I wanted to share some of our favourite meat free family meal ideas. We are not a vegan family, nor a vegetarian but I like to keep the cost of our food shopping down by cooking a few meat free meals each week. Even swapping one meal a week to meat free would have a great impact on not only our budgets but also the environment. Here’s some of our favourite meat free family meal ideas. Try searching #meatfreemondays on Instagram or browsing Pinterest for more inspiration.
- Pasta bake – this is one of our faves because it is enjoyed by the whole family and is so versatile. You can chuck pretty much anything into a pasta bake and it’s a great way of hiding some veg if you have picky eaters in the house. We tend to have a jar on hand as a quick meal on busy days, or if you have more time you could make your own sauce.
- Veggie chilli – again this is another throw it all in dish and great for veg dodgers. We really like this recipe from A girl called Jack. This can be served with jackets spuds, rice or nachos to mix it up a bit.
- Risotto – I actually only made my first from scratch risotto last night, it was so yummy and everyone ate it which is always a bonus! I made a simple sun dried tomato risotto, there are loads of other recipe ideas online.
- Vegetable tarts – We love making savoury tarts and they always go down well in our house, especially a pizza tart. My favourite ones to make however are caramelised onion and goats cheese or tomato and goats cheese (we LOVE goats cheese). The pizza one is really easy to do just grab some ready made puff pastry, spread layer of tomato sauce, purée or even pesto and add whatever topping you like, you could get the kids involved with putting the toppings on too.
- Quorn crispy nuggets and sweet potato fries – Everyone needs a quick throw in the oven freezer dinner don’t they. The quorn nuggets are really tasty, in fact I didn’t tell anyone they were quorn and no one noticed.
- Jackets potato’s – These are my go to in the winter months. There are so filling, easy to do, can be topped we pretty much anything, we like the classic beans, cheese and coleslaw combo, and they are budget friendly.
- Bean burgers – I know I might be in the minority here but I prefer bean burgers over normal burgers, I love how much flavour you can pack into them. Our go to recipe are these carrot, cumin and kidney bean burgers, they are super cheap to make and really yummy served with wedges and salad.
I’d love to hear what your favourite meat free family meal is, let me know in the comments.