National Breastfeeding Week – My Story – Why I Stopped Breastfeeding And Why I’m Totally OK With It

As it is National Breastfeeding week I thought I would share my breastfeeding journey. Breastfeeding is not something I particularly enjoyed, I didn’t feel any kind of special connection and I’m not brave enough to get my boobs out in public. I take my hat off to those who can get past the painful phase and those with the confidence to feed in public. That just isn’t me and I’m OK with that, I don’t feel sad or guilty that it didn’t work out for us and neither should you!

My breastfeeding story with Jack

I gave birth at 16 and even though I was so young I felt pressured by health professionals to breastfeed, not really knowing anything else I thought I had no choice but to do it, no one talked of formula or bottle feeding. I fed Jack for roughly 2 weeks before I decided I did not want to do it anymore. It hurt, I wasn’t enjoying it and as a 16-year-old I certainly wasn’t going to feed in public. I switched to formula and instantly felt like a weight had been lifted.

My breastfeeding story with Ava

Even though I knew I didn’t like breastfeeding I still wanted to attempt it with Ava and see how we got on. I was quite firm with the health professionals that I would give it a go and then move onto formula if it wasn’t for us, thankfully this time they respected that decision and didn’t try to force it on me. I fed Ava exclusively for 2 and a half days before I realised it wasn’t working for us. She was a very fidgety eater and wasn’t latching properly which in turn was making me sore and she wasn’t getting as much feed as she required. I had bought a starter pack of ready-made formula so I gave her a bottle of that and instantly she seemed more settled. I did attempt to express for a couple of days before deciding to move to bottle feeding.

How will I feed the new baby

As with Ava and Jack I will feed them myself for the first couple of days so as they get the ‘good stuff’ after that I shall just see how it goes and move to formula if things are not working out.

Please don’t leave any negative comments I know how beneficial breastfeeding is and but unfortunately I just don’t feel like it is for me and to carry on when I wasn’t enjoying it would seriously affect my mental health, and at the end of the day happy mum = happy baby.

To anyone who feels the same as me please don’t beat yourself up or allow anyone to make you feel guilty, it’s your body, your baby, your decision. Breastfeeding will not be right for everyone and that is absolutely O.K!

Amy x

Share:

9 Comments

1. August 5, 2017 / 5:21 pm

I had a terrible experience with breastfeeding and I’m sure that it contributed to post natal depression with my eldest son and daughter. People are so judgemental, you just do what’s right for your baby. Xx

2. August 5, 2017 / 10:34 pm

God for you that you stuck to yoru guns and made decisions that suited you and your family. I hate the pressure that some health professionals put on new mums, they have enough to be contending with. Mich x

3. August 5, 2017 / 10:43 pm

I had an awful time breastfeeding and it took me many years to come to terms with the fact that I wasn’t able to do it (actually not out of choice but because of medical reasons). I was vilified for it by people who didn’t know the reason why – who just assumed that I hadn’t bothered. At the end of the day my daughter is happy, healthy and flourishing regardless of how she was fed 🙂

4. August 6, 2017 / 8:25 pm

You are right that mum’s mental health has to be prioritised. I was very fortunate to find breastfeeding easy and convenient but I know it’s not like this for everyone. It’s good that you have an open mind but ultimately know however you feed your baby has to be best for you all.

5. August 7, 2017 / 9:13 am

I think it’s important for people to share their stories – on both sides of the fence because there are so many women out there who are feeling guilty about not feeding or not feeding long enough. And reading others experiences can help them feel better about their own decisions x

6. August 7, 2017 / 10:42 am

I am the same as you in a way expect I couldn’t breast feed at all. At the start I felt bad about it but now I just feel angry that I was so pressured and made to feel so bad. Pickle wasn’t well when he was born and the pressure was unreal.

7. August 7, 2017 / 10:51 am

It’s really interesting to hear how you felt pressured with your first but not as much with your second, for me fed is best and like you say, it’s great to see how it goes.

8. August 7, 2017 / 8:49 pm

It’s such a personal thing to make the decision when you are expecting a baby and I was shocked when I was pregnant with my eldest how many want to know how I’m feeding my baby. I was like you, I had no clue how it was going to go and was open minded about it. Well done for sharing your story x

9. August 8, 2017 / 11:36 pm

I am glad you didn’t feel pressured with your second baby, I hope thats a testament to the fact that things are slowly improving. I did breastfeed both of mine, but that was personal choice and I did introduce combination feeding to make it easier for all of us as they were big babies and very hungry, and I just want producing enough for them. I would hope you don’t get any negative comments, as you say its personal choice and happy mummy = happy baby which is far far far more important. Well done for sharing your story xx