I had never tried Halloumi before this recipe, not even with my ‘cheeky’ Nando’s, safe to say it gets added to every order now. This recipe is a fab way of making Halloumi a main meal, perfect for those meat free days.
Recipe serves 4
For the Halloumi
- 375g Halloumi cut into 1cm slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- squeeze of lemon juice
For the tomato and Coriander salad
- 350g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- handful of Coriander leaves, chopped
Cucumber raita and warmed mini naan breads to serve (optional)
- Put the Halloumi in a bowl, mix together the olive oil, garam masala,chilli powder and lemon juice. Pour the mix over the Halloumi and gently turn the cheese so it is coated in the spiced oil. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 2hrs to absorb the oil.
- Meanwhile, make the salad. Toss together the tomatoes, onion, olive oil, lemon juice and Coriander and lightly season.
- To cook the Halloumi, heat a large frying pan or griddle over a medium-high heat , add the Halloumi slices and fry for a couple of mins each side until golden
- Spoon the Halloumi on top of the salad and serve with the raita and naan.